2014 Akua Lezli Hope

Akua Lezli Hope


Spirit Vest

This work is about ancestral spirits, guardian spirits, those known and unknown who created me. The motifs include a dancing figure, ladders, leaves, male, female and child/neuter figures, masks/faces, one large tree, small graphic trees, triangles, and trumpets.  I first conceived of the predominant forms as future people, but came to realize that those future folks were my forbears, braver and more daring than any of us who live/d where they landed in the Great City. The ladders stand for the windows of time as well as the connection. 


My many unknown predecessors are represented.  While there are not many apparent ancestors, there are many whispering through the eons. All four of my grandparents migrated to the United States in the teens and the early twenties of the 20th century from the islands of Montserrat and Jamaica.  They all broke precedent and created a bold new future for their children-to-be.    I feel the responsibility of witness bearing.  I am grateful for their love and daring.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.