2012 Stefanie Spikell

Stefanie Spikell

Lincoln, California, USA



SECRET LADY

The inspiration for this 36x36 inch crocheted art piece is the Austrian painter, Gustav Klimt. In particular, his two portraits, The Kiss and Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, both painted circa 1907. I like his use of bold geometrics, both circles and blocks and as I started my project, his work came to mind. While my piece is not reminiscent of either a kiss or a portrait of a living person, I was moved to interpret his style with various shapes and colors. I gave my piece its name because the woman is hidden within a block-like structure and must be looked for, much as the man and woman in The Kiss are hidden in their robes and Adele Bloch-Bauer is hidden within the  geometric pattern behind her.

The art piece is all crocheted using more than 30 colors and several different stitches/textures and hook sizes. The piece is attached to a 36x36 painted canvas and resides over my fireplace mantle.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.