2010 Andrea Lyn Van Benschoten

Andrea Lyn Van Benschoten

Rockaway, NJ USA



My whole life has been around water. Whether it was mastering the “Sanibel Stoop” on vacation in Florida in my youth or fly fishing with my husband on Greenwood Lake, the soft lapping of the water can be meditative. As a Jersey Girl, a trip “down the shore” was always just a car ride away. And when my husband and I traveled up the Massachusetts coastline, I feel in love with Nantucket Island.


Last year I discovered hyperbolic crochet; crochet based on mathematical equations developed in 1997 by Cornell University mathematician Dr. Daina Taimina. Margaret and Christine Wertheim of the Institute for Figuring expanded upon Dr. Taimina’s geometric concepts to develop creations in honor of the Great Barrier Reef along the coast of Australia.


I loved the flow of the creations, so it inspired me to develop my own little reef. These wonderful little pieces can be added to over time, just as a true coral reef grows. I’m sure I will continue to develop my coral reef when the memory of the water calls to me.





                                                                                            










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.