2006 Susie Bowring-Miller

Susie Bowring-Miller
Newcastle, NSW, Australia


I have dabbled in painting and drawing from my earliest days and although I was interested in following a career in 'Commercial Art' I was encouraged to stay on at School and become a teacher.   Rebelling against  that idea I left school and became a secretary instead!  Although not a job that I cherished, I have enjoyed it and it has stood me in good stead over the years.
During the 'Secretary' years and whilst raising a family of three I undertook two years of a Bachelor of Arts degree at  University until the Newcastle Earthquake in 1988.   Then followed five years of hectic work in our home based building business.
In 1995 I was finally free to take some time out for myself and undertook a two-year "Advanced Commercial Needlecraft" at TAFE.   I believe that this decision was synchronistic to events in my life and my increasing love of textiles and fibre.
A decision to join the Newcastle Creative Embroiderers' & Textile Artists Inc. group opened up an entire new world for me, creating new textile challenges and passions in free embroidery, felting and fabric dyeing.  It was during this time that I discovered (with great enthusiasm) the Textile Fibre Forums held at Mittagong and Geelong each year.
I finally returned to University in 1999 to start a new degree in Visual Arts and while taking eight months off for personal reason in 2001,  I rediscovered Crochet, a subject I "Absolutely Loathed" during my time at TAFE.
This wasn't JUST CROCHET, though........I had stumbled across "Scrumbling" or Free Form.
To my delight, NCETA, Inc asked me to a tutor in Free-Form Crochet at their residential workshop held in Kurri Kurri TAFE in May 2002, where sixteen women became immediately addicted!
I n September 2003 I was invited  as a tutor in freeform and sculputal crochet along with other tutors Jenny Dowde (who dreamed up the idea), Prudence Mapstone and James Walters.
Since then I have been busy teaching in my home town and make more art!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.