2006 Joyce Williams

Joyce Williams
Springfield, MO USA


What a treat it is to have found this group of folks who are so passionate about their fiber art, so talented and diverse and creative, and so friendly, helpful and welcoming! I taught myself how to crochet over 30 years ago, out of books.  For many years I could never find a soul who knew anything about it, or was interested. In the beginning I made the usual afghans, half-completed sweaters and aborted attempts at doilies.  Then I went through my doll-making phase--from patterns at first, but gradually I began to notice that no matter what I made, the first thing I wanted to do was deviate from the pattern. Soon, I began creating my own dolls as I went along.  Lots more interesting... and fun! I also began, more and more, to just "doodle", as I called it. I can spend hours experimenting with different stitches, yarns, shapes and never grow bored.  Over the years I've collected lots of boxes of these little "doodles."
Eventually, "real life" (where I work as a histology technician in a small pathology laboratory) intervened for a number of years, and my crochet hooks and yarn lay idle in the back room for quite some time. But recently, I have begun finding time for myself again and started rummaging through all those boxes in the Yarn Room, re-discovering my love of creating pretty little colorful "doodles." Then one day, on a whim, I googled "freeform crochet" and, lo and behold, I discovered that not only are there other folks out there who do what I do, but they've even given it a name: scrumbling. So, I joined their FreeForm Crochet group, and I haven't stopped scrumbling since!


"SURPRISE!!"

I decided to name this piece "Surprise!!" because that's exactly what I am---surprised! Surprised that I finally put my little "doodles" together and finished a freeform piece, surprised that it turned out as well as it did, and surprised to find myself listed as a "fiber artist" among all these outstanding people who truly are artists. I've already gotten so many great ideas from seeing their work, I don't know what to try first!  I think I've finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up! Now, if I could just get those people I work for to let me retire so I can spend all my days scrumbling!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.